Welcome to Sweet Summertime Reads! All summer long I will be featuring a different blogger to share their current summer reads + what's on their agenda for this summer. I hope you'll join me each week! Today I am excited to have Estelle from Rather Be Reading sharing a few books she plans to read + her plans for a summer in NYC. Just look at that sunset photo!!!
Happy summer, friends! I'm so happy to be kicking off a new week by participating in G's Sweet Summertime Reads feature. We still have a few days to go before it's officially summer, but we've broken down and turned on our AC, so I think we are pretty much there. I don't have any big plans (my husband is studying for the bar so vacation plans will have to wait) but I'm so ready for afternoons at my favorite park in Long Island City, checking out some new ice cream eateries, another year of the NYC Good Beer Passport, and catching up with my friends and family. Oh, and swimming! Of course, summer is only as good as the books you are reading so here are a few that are on the top of my list:
- The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler: I'm the ultimate Disney fan and I love this Little Mermaid-y twist to a YA. I still have NO idea how it's going to work but I can't wait to find out.
- The Forget-Me-Not Summer by Leila Howland: I haven't been shy about my love of the Nantucket Blue series by Howland so I couldn't deny myself her latest -- a middle grade book centered on sisters and summer vacation in Cape Cod.
- The Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoy: This one is a re-read for me about sisters at a summer camp but it's also the prequel to a book that McVoy wrote last year. Now that I've indulged in In Deep, I want to see how it changes my reading of this backlist title.
- Summer of the Gypsy Moths by Sara Pennypacker: Are we sensing a theme yet? (Ha!) I bought this book on my last trip to Austin to see Magan (almost two years ago) and it's about time I get to it. I fell in love with the cover but it's set in Cape Cod (popular setting, huh?) about Stella and her aunt's foster child, Angel.
- BONUS: Unibrow by Una LaMarche: A collection of short stories is about as perfect as summer reading can get. You have fun, you read, you put a bookmark in, and you go and have fun again. I love Una's fiction writing, and I'm looking forward to checking out her non-fic work!
So we have free time, beer, ice cream, and reading? This summer itinerary is not complete without city sunsets. I can guarantee I'll be taking pictures of a billion of them... like this one:
I hope this summer brings you tons of frolicking, great stories, and time to take in all the beauty around you. Enjoy it! xoxo
Thanks so much, Estelle. I had not heard of his MG book from Leila Howland, but it's now been added to my summer TBR as well! I love following your pics on instagram and will keep my eye out for more summery sunsets in the city.
Be sure to check out the giveaway (open international -- Book Depository must be able to ship to you!) happening all summer long...
+ Open internationally (Book Depository must be able to ship to you!)
+ One winner will be chosen to receive one book from the image above (provided that it is available)
+ Contest ends August 31, 2015
+ Contest ends August 31, 2015