It's that time of year again! Very excited to be participating in the End of Year Book Survey, created by Jamie, for the fifth time (if you are unaware of this year -- click this link right here -- because it is so much fun & I adore filling it out every year). As the year comes to a close, it's a good time to reflect back on all the books I've read. This survey is a great way to get organized and share my thoughts on all things read in 2014!
Number Of Books You Read: 53 (and counting... It's possible I'll hit 55 by the end of the year)
Number of Re-Reads: 1 (The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han)
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary (always + forever)
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
(in no particular order)
- The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
- Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs
- Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Since Last Summer by Joanna Philbin [add to goodreads]
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Graceling by Kristin Cashore (surprised in a very good way!) [add to goodreads]
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
- Best series started: Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- Best sequel: Nantucket Red by Leila Howland
- Best series ender: Just One Night by Gayle Forman
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Graceling by Kristin Cashore [add to goodreads]
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins -- as for contemporary YA, this book had me reading late into the night, dying to know how it all ends.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Devil You Know by Trish Doller -- very excited to read the finished product in 2015.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Emily from Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson -- her strong character growth in this novel left a very permanent mark on my memory.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler -- her style of writing is a type of beauty that sneaks up on you, one that is hard to turn away from, only wanting more more more.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
99 Days by Katie Cotugno -- this topic was hard to digest in general (cheating), but the way it was presented really had me thinking A LOT about the characters involved and their actions. I couldn't get this story out of my heads for days.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
"I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes you can love a book not so much because of what it's about or what happens in it, but because it belongs to a certain time or person in your life -- like you'll always remember where you were when you read it for the first time, or who gave it to you, or what season it was, or who you were before you read it and how you were different when it was over." (Breakfast Served Anytime -- Sarah Combs,p. 246)
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
- Shortest: Just One Night by Gayle Forman (40 pages)
- Longest: Graceling by Kristin Cashore (471 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most?
Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)?
Josh + Isla from Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year?
Lara Jean and her sisters (Margot and Kitty) from To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously?
Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure?
Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Max from The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Boomerang by Noelle August
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
The Chance You Won't Return by Annie Cardi
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
How to Love by Katie Cotugno
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Sound of Letting Go by Stasia Ward Kehoe
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
99 Days by Katie Cotugno -- even though I was furious with this book at times, it left SUCH a lasting impression on me, and THAT is the true power of literature.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
What Sarah Read and Love at First Page
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson [read the review here]
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I participated in Tiffany Schmidt's BRIGHT BEFORE SUNRISE book launch by posting my "One Night" story. The responses I got touched me deeper than I expected. I even formed a life long pen pal through the experience (looking at you, Sarah Combs!). Read my "One Night" story that changed my life here.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in the On the Same Page Secret Sister event since August. I signed up to receive a "secret sister" who I would send encouraging, thoughtful mementos to in the mail. I have enjoyed spreading the love to her world immensely! I have also LOVED receiving the generous gifts from my secret sister as well. The concept behind this wonderful event is so touching and so needed.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Reaching my 4 year blogoversary was pretty spectacular! Read the post here.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My Top Ten Authors I've Only Read One Book From But Need To Read More -- this post got the most views this year. I'm a bit surprised, to be honest. I guess lots of peeps wanted to see which authors I've only experienced once? ha
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Sweet Summertimes Reads Roadtrip With Jen (From Canada!) -- I loved every guest post from this summer-long feature of mine, but this one in particular really stood out to me. Everything about this blog post screams a summer YA novel & I just adored it!
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I found this blog post from Hannah at So Obsessed With on getting your goodreads shelves organized to be so helpful! Best discovery by far this year.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my goal of reading 50 books this year on goodreads, and have actually gone past it now. I've also branched out to reading more fantasy YA, that I hope to continue in 2015, too.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
There Will Come a Time by Carrie Arcos [add to goodreads]
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby [add to goodreads]
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera [add to goodreads]
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Brown-Eyed Girl by Lisa Kleypas [add to goodreads]
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I say this every year, but it still remains true... I hope to continue ENJOYING this. The purpose behind this blog is for me connect with other readers and discuss all things bookish. I always want to keep it fun and enjoyable, never losing sight of that.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone?
I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios [add to goodreads]