Friday, October 4, 2013
A Regroup & Refocus Post - Where Are You in 2013?
It's October, which means there are 3 months (or 12 weeks and 4 days) left of 2013. I know for me this is when my mind starts thinking toward the Holidays. I begin to plan my Christmas lists, think about where I'll be spending Thanksgiving, and pushing full steam ahead to the end of this fall semester. For most (outside of Texas that is), people are bringing out their scarves and cute new boots. Unfortunately I am still rocking the shorts and sandals here (I'm so over this heat!!).
My point in this post is to ask... where are you when it comes to accomplishing that end of the year list? I know a lot of readers (and bloggers) set out with goals at the beginning of the year to tackle certain projects when it comes to books. One of those tasks being to read a certain number of books. Or perhaps venture out and try new reading material. I got to thinking about what my goals were for this year, and have I stayed on task? I know I've failed in the reading challenge, but that's OK. I refuse to beat myself up about it. Of course I wanted to read X amount of books, and goodreads is telling me I am 7 books behind schedule. Well, goodreads, life has been busy lately so unfortunately I just can't keep up. But hey! At least I AM reading. And that is something I am happy about.
So tell me, are you on track with your reading goals this year? What about things you had hoped to accomplish with your blog? Is there something else that came up this year unexpectedly and has changed the way you read and/or blog? Tell me about it! October is a good time of year to reflect on where you've been, and still have time to get back on track for where you want to go.
And now I revisit my My Top Ten Bookish Goals for 2013...
1. Read for quality, not quantity? - Check! As I said before, it's not about the number of books that I am reading, but that I AM reading -- and enjoying that time spent reading.
2. Giving some love to the books on my shelf? - I definitely need to work on this one. I have been reading more ebooks that I've purchased and not gotten to -- so this counts, right?
3. Visit my library more? - Definitely been doing this! And I've even taken my nephew with me a few times.
4. Donate the books I've read? - I have held two giveaways on my blog so far this year, to clean off shelves and donate to other readers. It's been a great way to give back!
5. Don't be afraid to review a book that didn't hit the spot for me? - Still working on this. I did post a review recently that wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I kept it respectful and understood that just because it wasn't for me doesn't mean it won't be for someone else.
6. Continue to read more adult books? - YES! YES! YES! I am definitely sticking to this goal. Romance contemporaries in the Adult realm have been some of my favorites read this year. I hope the integration of those on my blog has been a positive one for my readers.
7. Finish the Harry Potter audiobooks? - Eek. I've failed with this. BUT, there's still time left & that's the purpose of this post.. to regroup & refocus! Harry, I'm coming for you.
8. Attend more bookish events? - Well, I did go to TLA last spring and I just got back from Austin Teen Book Fest last weekend, so I'd say I am doing well with this goal.
9. Reread a favorite if I want to? - I had read Where the Stars Still Shine last year (& loved it!), so I decided to do a reread this summer before its release -- so glad I did! It made me fall in love with Trish's writing all over again.
10. Have someone read a book because of my review/recommendation? - I've had people tell me that this has happened and I am FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR IT. Truly. It's an awesome feeling to know you've influenced someone else's reading habit. I hope to continue this forever and always.
We tend to reflect on these goals at the end of the year, but why not do it now? That way when we realize certain things didn't get done, we still have time to regroup and refocus!