It's no surprise how much I love my characters in books. Throw in a beautifully broken bad boy & I am completely sold! I love books that present a character conflict, and it's a given there will be MANY conflicts when there's a bad boy present.
My good friend Anna (from Anna Reads) and I have this never-ending debate: Good Boys vs. Bad Boys - Which are better? She tends to like the "good boys" - you know the kind; the sweet, innocent type. Though I do have a soft spot for those dudes as well, it's still the BAD BOYS that keep me turning the pages.
We've put together this little feature today to settle this debate (or at least give the other bragging rights? ha). I'll state my case, then hop on over to her blog where she'll state her's. After reviewing the facts, we want YOU to decide which is better... the good boy? or the BAD BOY? Take our poll & let the results stand for themselves.
Subject: The Bad Boy
- Confident, Unpredictable, Risk-taker, Bold, Adventurous, Experienced, Tough skin, Wounded heart, Mysterious, Challenging, Irresistible, Charming, Sexy...
Examples (in YA lit):
Will from The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare
Jace from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
Wesley from The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
Rusty from In Honor by Jessi Kirby
Conrad from The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Patch from Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Jake from Saving June by Hannah Harrington
Jeremy from Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez
Adam from Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols
Noah from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Cole from The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater
Four from Divergent by Veronica Roth
Travis from Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
- He's arrogant, yet so sexy doing it.
- He has a wounded heart we so badly want to heal.
- He can make us melt with one smoldering look.
- His cockiness usually comes with a sense of humor.
- He's made a few mistakes which validate him being real.
- He usually has a guitar in hand, or close by.
- His hair is almost always glorious.
- He sports that half crooked smile at just the right time.
- He may act like he doesn't care, but he's the first to protect us.
- He's loyal to the ones he loves.
Verdict: Clearly it's the Bad Boy who is the winner here. How can you resist all of that?! He may have his low moments, but it's those high moments that make up for everything & then some. *SWOON*
**MARCUS FLUTIE. He is the one thing both Anna & I can agree on. Give us good, give us bad. We love every bit of him. You. Yes, you MARCUS FLUTIE belong on both lists. Neutral ground it is.
Good Boy vs. Bad Boy